ESL & ELD
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE & ENGLISH LITERACY DEVELOPMENT
ESL/ELD programs are provided for newcomers from other countries as well as Canadian-born students whose first language is a language other than English or is a variety of English that is significantly different from the variety used for instruction in Ontario schools.
As well, most schools have a school-based or itinerant ESL/ELD teacher available to provide additional program support to English language learners. This support is provided on an in-class and/or withdrawal basis and on an individual or small group basis.
Classroom/subject and ESL/ELD teachers work together to maximize student achievement and integration.
All English language learners have access to ESL/ELD program support through placement at one of the six ESL/ELD Centre schools in YCDSB. These schools provide a range of programs for English language learners:
- English as a Second Language Credit Courses (ESLAO/BO/CO/DO/EO)
- English Literacy Development Credit Courses (ELDAO/BO/CO/DO/EO)
- Adapted Subject Specific Courses for ESL/ELD (e.g. Science, History, etc.)
- ESL/ELD Resource Periods (non-credit periods for tutorial program support, etc.)
DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
If you have any questions, please contact us. We will be more than happy to help.
(905) 713-2711 Ext. 13634 (Int'l Ed) or Ext. 12434 (Admissions)
© Copyright 2022 YCDSB International Education Program. All Rights Reserved.